李白,字一日 schrieb:
On Nov 27, 3:35 pm, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
李白,字一日 <calid...@gmail.com> writes:
or is it possible for large source files?
Is what possible? What do you want the tool to do?

--
 \           “I do not believe in forgiveness as it is preached by the |
  `\        church. We do not need the forgiveness of God, but of each |

sometimes i need to merge some code snippets from files into a file,
and when time comes to do this merge, i always find it difficult to
reformat the python code
because after pasting and copy, the code indentation different from
one to another.
and it is the tedious job for us to manually move the code from one
segment to another.

so i would like to have a tool to intelligently format the code for me
and make the code more beautiful
and automated.

This is not possible. Consider the following situation:

code a:

if something:
    do_something()

code b:

if anything:
    do_something_else()

No lets say you copy b after a. At which level should it be? Like this

if something:
   do_something()

if anything:
    do_something_else()

Or like this?

if something:
   do_something()

   if anything:
       do_something_else()

Both are semantically radically different, and only you know which one is the right one.

What my editor (emacs) allows, and other IDEs/editors as well is to mark blocks, and shift these wholesome left or right, to get the desired indention level.

The only thing that migh be automatized after a piece of code is valid is normalization, like de-tabifying or making everything based on 4 space characters indention. No idea if there is something out there that does that.

Diez