Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 02:11:12 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

I think if one could somehow declare names as const (final, readonly,
whatever) then that would cover the above plus much more.

Having real constants is one feature that I miss. Because Python doesn't have constants, I find I've lost the discipline to avoid "magic numbers" (and strings) in my code.

I don't get you, this can be easily avoid with a strong naming convention. I mean, despite they are not really constants, you can still use variables to name your numbers and string, to give the reader a usefull hint on the meaning of your code. Yet it is still a matter of discipline, it is sometimes very tempting to put the string directly (unlike numbers string can be meaningful sometimes)

JM