J schrieb:
On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 16:57, Diez B. Roggisch <de...@nospam.web.de> wrote:

if I put the import at the beginning of the class, it just dawned on
me that perhaps I still have to explicitly call the function by class:

sysinfo.py

class myclass():
   import os
   def findDMIDecode(self):
       for r,d,f in myclass.os.walk(args)

is that correct?
It is correct in the sense that it works, but it is by no means good
practice.

So good practice (I'm doing this for real as well as for my own
education) would be:

sysinfo.py:

import os

class ClassA():
    sysinfo.os.walk()

class ClassB():
    sysinfo.os.walk()

No, no sysinfo. Just

import os

class A():

   def foo(self):
       os.path.walk("/")

Sorry for the incredibly entry-level questions...  I'm a more senior
member on a few Linux related lists/groups, and I can certainly
understand if questions as basic as these are annoying, so I'm really
trying to not ask them unless I'm just really confused about
something.

OTOH, if there's something more akin to a python newbies kind of list
where this kind of basic thing is more appropriate, please let me
know, because really, I don't want to clutter up python-list with
stuff that would be better off elsewhere.

I'm not annoyed. I just wonder from what you got the impression that import statements are something that belongs inside functions - even if python allows it.

I don't know of any other language (I don't do ruby & perl) that allows this, C/C++, java, Pascal, Haskell, ML - all of them declare their intended use of a library on the beginning of a file.

You seem to really be really determined to place them everywhere else...

Diez