r0g wrote:
Dave Angel wrote:
r0g wrote:
Dave Angel wrote:
r0g wrote:
Dave Angel wrote:
r0g wrote:
Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:26:58 +0530, 74yrs old
<withblessi...@gmail.com>

For Kannada project .txt(not .doc) is used, my requirement is to
have one
<big snip>
That's even worse.  As far as I can tell, the code will never do what he
wants in Python 2.x.   The Kannada text file is full of Unicode
characters in some encoding, and if you ignore the encoding, you'll just
get garbage.

Ah, fair enough. In my defence though I never saw the original post or
this kannada.txt file as my newsserver is not so much with the
reliability. I guess it's naive to assume an english .txt file is going
to be in ASCII these days eh?

I've yet to try python 3 yet either, this whole Unicode thing looks like
it could be a total nightmare! :(

Roger.

But it isn't an english .txt file, it's a Kannada .txt file. Presumably you didn't realize that Kannada is a (non-English) language,
spoken in parts of India, with several hundred characters.  ASCII wasn't
even an option.  Anyway, no harm done, someone else referred the OP to a
Python user-group local to that region.

DaveA

Well this looked like English to me...

example: *F o r  K a n n a d a  p r o j e c t . t x t(n o t .d o c)  i s
 u s e d,  m y  r e q u i r e m e n t   i s  t o  h a v e  o n e  s p a
c e  b e t w e e n  t w o  c h a r a c t e r s  i n  t h e  t e x t.*

...but yes you're right, I had never heard of Kannada let alone knew it
was another language!

Roger.

There were two examples. The one you quoted was in English, and immediately afterward was the second one, presumably in Kannada.

DaveA