On 12/15/2009 10:39 PM, Brendan Miller wrote:
I was trying to reimplement some of the c++ library of generic
algorithms in c++ in python, but I was finding that this is
problematic to do this in a generic way because there isn't any
equivalent of c++'s forward iterators, random access iterators, etc.
i.e. all python iterators are just input iterators that can't mutate
the sequence they iterate over nor move backwards or by an arbitrary
offset.

I'm wondering if anyone has done work towards creating more powerful
iterators for python, or creating some more pythonic equivalent.

For sequences, integer indexes let you do anything you want that the container supports. No need for anything more, though you can wrap ints if you must. The read-only iterator protocal is intentionally minimal. I