W. eWatson wrote:
Mensanator wrote:
On Dec 14, 8:14�pm, "W. eWatson" <wolftra...@invalid.com> wrote:
I think Python is capable of executing a compiled C or FORTRAN program,

Sure, if it was compiled to an .exe file.

and maybe even getting some parameters passed back.

Sure, if the program prints to stdout.

Does anyone have a
example of how this might be done? I'm running under Win XP Pro.

Here's one. The test program is factor.exe (included in
the MIRACL library). I recompiled it (factor!.exe) to
produce consitent output.
Thanks. OK, I think I can follow that. I want to pass it along to someone who either missed this possibility in some coding, ignored it, or felt more comfortable about just writing the whole program from scratch in c++. His program was originally written in Python, but a new hardware device (capture card) had no good interface with Python, so he wrote it in C++, which does. From my knowledge of the Python program before the entry of c++, it seems he could have farmed out the hardware interface in much the same way he had done it before with a capture card well know to him.

Would the same Python interface work for a compiled C++ program?

I am working on a Python UI (PyQt4) to a Fortran program. The approach I've taken is to build the Fortran code as a DLL (or .so). Python can load the library and call a procedure that initiates execution. I'm using sockets to pass data of different types back to the Python program. This is a work in progress, and I'm learning Python as we go.