On Jan 4, 7:46 am, Nobody <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:56:24 -0800, cassiope wrote:
> > I'm changing the uid and gid in the daemon (which runs with root
> > permissions
> > until the fork and uid/gid change).  The uid and gid are confirmed by
> > printing os.getuid() and os.getgid() in the script.
>
> Those tell you the *real* UID/GID. Filesystem checks are performed using
> the *effective* UID/GID.
>
> You need to set them with seteuid/setegid and check them with
> geteuid/getegid.

To Cameron: the file doesn't (yet) exist; and it has the correct full
path.

To "Nobody" : hey, this seems interesting.  First test, invoking
seteuid()
and setegid() didn't help - but strange thing was these calls didn't
show
up in the strace, so perhaps I wasn't testing what I thought I was.
I'll
have to check this later as people are now back to work and needing
the
daemon for its other functions...

Thanks for your ideas!  I'll be checking it more later...