Grant Edwards wrote:
[regardning "picture" output format specifiers]
I was thinking that there was a built-in function for this
common(?) use case

I haven't seen that paradigm since my one-and-only exposure to
COBOL in a class I took back in 1979.  Is the "picture" thing
commonly used in other places than COBOL?

I've spotted in the wild as recently as Visual Basic 6. I don't know if remnants made it into Visual Fred (VB.net). I think they're referred to as "format strings", but they're a mystical (and poorly documented) suite of characters that seem to have accrued features like my bathtub gets mildew. Most folks just copy and paste the format strings from the web.

-tkc