On 2010-02-19 00:21 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 00:15:20 -0600, Robert Kern wrote:

What's the point of the wheel spinning? Did I miss something?

I wonder whether it's for some kind of framework with a main loop like

for it in list_of_iterables:
      for x in it:
          do_this_or_that (x)

where, every once in a while one wants to throw some arbitrary code
into the process, in the form of an empty iterable with side effects.

Yes. That is exactly what the OP said in his original post:

"""
I have some generators that do stuff, then start yielding results. On
occasion, I don't want them to yield anything ever-- they're only really
"generators" because I want to call them /as/ a generator as part of a
generalized system. """

But he doesn't say anything about side-effects.

"I have some generators *that do stuff*, then start yielding results." [emphasis mine]. Then he gives an example of a generator that does side-effect stuff and returning before yielding anything.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco