On Feb 19, 4:42 pm, "W. eWatson" <wolftra...@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 2/19/2010 10:56 AM, CM wrote:

> >> tories, or even the whole hard drive, for snowball.*. Then the OP>  would
> >> know exactly what he has or hasn't got.

> >> Here's the answer. Consider this folder.
>
> >> Afolder
> >>     abc.py
> >>     hello.py
>
> >> I now apply py2exe steps to produce an  "executable" for abc. The folder
> >> now changes to
>
> >> Afolder
> >>     build
> >>     dist
> >>     abc.py
> >>     hello.py
>
> >> build are two new folders. dist contains abc.exe.
>
> >> Somehow when I type abc at the command prompt, this follows a path to
> >> dist, and finds abc.exe, where it executes properly.
> >> Cute, eh? I have no explanation for it.
>
> > Are you sure it's executing abc.exe?  If you are at a Python command
> > prompt within the "DOS shell" and you just type just abc, I think what
> > is happening is you are running abc.py, NOT abc.exe.
>
> > py2exe creates a dist folder (short for "distributables") by default
> > and puts your .exe into it along with whatever other files are needed
> > to run your application.  Depending on how you set the bundling
> > options, this may be a lot of things or just 1-2 other things.
>
> > Che
>
> Well, you are right. What proof do I have? In fact, I just tried to run
> a program that was not converted, and left off py. It worked.
>
> So maybe the only way to execute the compiled code is to to to dist?

Not sure about that last question, but just try double-clicking on
the .exe file in dist and your app should run.  In fact, copy that
dist folder to a flash drive, plug it into another computer that
doesn't have Python installed on it, and doubleclick it again--it'll
run again.  In fact, depending on how you bundled it, you might need
only the .exe file on many computers that have the Windows dlls
already available.

Che