The PyQt4 problem results from having copies of the Qt DLLs in directories that are in the PATH, as Doug Bell discovered. In my case I have two programs that use Qt, AMD CodeAnalyst and Matlab. If I rename BOTH these directories I can import the PyQt4 modules.

Since this behaviour did not occur with Python 2.5 and the previous PyQt I was using (4.5, I think), it seems that something has changed either with Python 2.6 or with PyQt 4.7.

It would be very nice to learn how to fix this without renaming directories, since I use Matlab frequently.

Gib