On 3/9/2010 1:36 PM Stef Mientki said...
On 09-03-2010 18:36, Robert Kern wrote:

<snip>

No, you can't. ASCII strings only have characters in the range 0..127.
You could create Latin-1 (or any number of the 8-bit encodings out
there) strings with characters 0..255, yes, but not ASCII.

Probably, and according to wikipedia you're right.

I too looked at wikipedia, and it seems historically incomplete to me. In particular, I looked for 'high order ascii', which, when I was working with Basic Four in the '70's, is what they used. Essentially, the high order bit was set for all characters to make 8A a line feed, etc. Still the same 0..127 characters, but not really an extended ascii which is where wikipedia forwards you to.

I remember having to strap the eighth bit high when I reused the older line printers to get them to work.

Emile