kj wrote:

Subject line pretty much says it all: is there a book like "Effective
Java" for Python.  I.e. a book that assumes that readers are
experienced programmers that already know the basics of the language,
and want to focus on more advanced programming issues?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Dive Into Python:

http://diveintopython.org/

Available for free online. Most Python books contain a lot of 'hello world' material which for someone who knows at least one programming language is boring, this one doesn't, it cuts straight to the point. I found it very readable.

Regards,
mk