Nathan Harmston, 15.03.2010 13:21:
So I m trying to use a very large regular expression, basically I have
a list of items I want to find in text, its kind of a conjunction of
two regular expressions and a big list......not pretty. However
everytime I try to run my code I get this exception:

OverflowError: regular expression code size limit exceeded

I understand that there is a Python imposed limit on the size of the
regular expression. And although its not nice I have a machine with
12Gb of RAM just waiting to be used, is there anyway I can alter
Python to allow big regular expressions?

Could anyone suggest other methods of these kind of string matching in
Python?

If what you are trying to match is in fact a set of strings instead of a set of regular expressions, you might find this useful:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/acora

Stefan