On 3/18/2010 8:13 PM, Weeble wrote:
  I thought that the cost of garbage
collection would be in some way proportional to the amount of garbage
created, but I didn't think I was creating any: as far as I can tell
the only objects deallocated during the load are strings, which could
not be participating in cycles.

I have spent a lot of time in C#, where the standard advice is not to
mess about with the garbage collector because you'll probably just
make things worse. Does that advice apply in Python? Is it a bad idea
to call gc.disable() before loading the trie and then enable it again
afterwards?

I believe not. It is known that certain patterns of object creation and destruction can lead to bad gc behavior. No one has discovered a setting of the internal tuning parameters for which there are no bad patterns and I suspect there are not any such. This does not negate Xavier's suggestion that a code change might also solve your problem.

tjr