Dotan Cohen wrote:
I would have agreed with you if someone were to make the statement
until a few weeks ago; somehow in the last week or so, the mood about
regex seems to has shifted to "regex is not suitable for anything"
type of mood. As soon as someone (OP or not) proposed a regex
solution, someone else would retort with don't use regex use
string-builtins or pyparsing. It appears that the group has developed
some sense of regexphobia; some people pushes using string builtins
for moderately complex requirement and suggested pyparsing for not-so
complex need and that keeps shrinking regex sweet spot. But that's
just my inherently subjective observation.

Isn't that a core feature of a high-level language such as Python?
Providing the tools to perform common or difficult tasks easily
thought built in functions?

I am hard pressed to think of a situation in which a regex is
preferable to a built-in function.

Regexes do have their uses. It's a case of knowing when they are the
best approach and when they aren't.