On 4/12/2010 1:57 AM, Mensanator wrote:
Likewise, I usually don't shut down
when I leave work, so I can't allow orphaned processes to accumulate
eating up CPU and memory.

So don't.

Orphaned processes only accumulate when you use Restart Shell to abandon a process stuck in an infinite loop. I personally very seldom do that. Otherwise, the old process dies in a few seconds and the number of pythonw processes drops back down from 3 to the normal 2.

As I already said, either roboot or use TaskManager to kill such zombies. When I had a unix desktop machine, I routinely used the command line equivalents ps (process status) and kill to do the same thing.

Terry Jan Reedy