When using Idle, Call Tips are floating windows which display function,
class, and method parameter and docstring information when you type an
opening parenthesis, and which disappear when you type a closing
parenthesis.

But when you use new-style classes, they don't work fine and don't show
the arguments of the __init__ method.

There is a topic in this newsgroup (new style classes and an IDLE
"grump"), where a solution was given to the problem (in Mar 27 2002):

> The solution seems to be simply changing line 115 in CallTips.py (in
the
> Tools/Idle/ directory) as folows:
>
>     if type(ob)==types.ClassType:

>     if type(ob)==types.ClassType or type(ob) == types.TypeType:

I've tried it (Python 2.4.1 - IDLE 1.1.1) and it works fine (CallTips
was in the \Lib\idlelib directory for me).

Why isn't this the default behaviour? Is this the right place to post
this?