On 5/11/2010 5:27 PM, pyt...@bdurham.com wrote:
Martin,

If we install over an existing version of Python 2.6.5, will our PTH
files and site-packages be preserved?

Or do we need to back out our 3rd party packages, install Python 2.6.5
and then manually restore our 3rd party packages?

In my experience on WinXP, installing x.y.z+1 over x.y.z nicely leaves sitepackages alone as well as any other directories I have added under the pythonxy directory. An uninstall and reinstall should also leave user stuff alone.

Installing x.y+1 create and install in a new pythonx<y+1> directory, leaving one to copy from pythonxy subdirs as desired.

It appears that the OP confused things by switching between one and all user installs.

Terry Jan Reedy