On 05/15/2010 05:34 PM, cjw wrote:
It seems that messages are coming from a number of sources, such as
gmane and google groups.

The problem is that many messages seem to get unlinked from their threads.

I use Thunderbird 3.0.5 and wonder whether the problem lies with the
merge process, the server or my reader.

While others have told you about using gmane or other sources (direct email, etc), I haven't seen anything fly by regarding the "unlinked from their threads" portion of your question. Thunderbird 2.0 -> 3.0 changed the default value for mail.strict_threading from False to True. Pulling up the config editor (essentially the about:config, buried in the options->advanced stuff, I think; or perhaps I have the "about:config" plugin to do that) allows you to toggle this value back to "True". This setting controls whether threads are defined *only* by the mail header (strict=True), or whether TB also tries to guess based on the Subject header (strict=False).

Toggle it (and perhaps restart TB?) and see if that helps rectify the threading. There are a lot of folks here on c.l.p that use broken newsreaders that don't correctly set news/threading headers.

-tkc