On 05/27/2010 07:22 AM, HH wrote:
When I write an if statement with many conditions, I prefer to use a
parenthesis around the whole block and get the implicit continuation,
rather than ending each line with an escape character.  Thus, using
the example from the style guide (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/
pep-0008/) I would write:

     if (width == 0 and
         height == 0 and
         color == 'red' and
         emphasis == 'strong' or
         highlight>  100):
         raise ValueError("sorry, you lose")

While it's not PEP material, I tend to use the coding standards I learned working for Computer Sciences Corporation (10 yrs ago, so things may have changed) that mandated 2 levels of indentation for continued lines, turning the above into

  if (width == 0 and
          height == 0 and
          color == 'red' and
          emphasis == 'strong' or
          highlight>  100):
          # or the closing "):" on this line,
          # aligned with the previous line
      raise ValueError("sorry, you lose")

which is fairly close to Jean-Michel's proposal.

-tkc