Monte Milanuk wrote:
Hello,

I'm still a relative newbie to python, so I apologize if this is covered in detail somewhere and I missed it.

I have a program or two that I want to work on once I get more proficient with python and sqlite and tkinter/wxpython. One of the big 'features' of those programs I want to make is going to be printing out match results (scores) from a competition along with competitor names and other pertinent information. Currently most people are doing this in Excel, though there is one (old) DOS program written in BASIC that not only prints the match results and the reports for the sanctioning body, but also prints labels via a Dymo Label maker.

I realized today that one thing I have never seen covered in any Python tutorial is how to format and print things to a physical printer. I did a little bit of searching and didn't come up with much... either I'm really not using the right search terms, or physical printing is a black hole/art...?

TIA,

Monte

I agree with you that it seems surprising that there isn't a simple way to print with python. Another idea, which you may well think of as overkill:

Use django or another web framework, and make your application a web app. With this approach you can display output to a web page, and create a print stylesheet that can be finely tuned to print.

This ups your work to get involved with a web framework, but it lets you provide your application to users without the need to install. It also makes it totally platform agnostic

Joel Goldstick