On 6/28/10 1:06 PM, Mithrandir wrote:
Paul Rubin<no.em...@nospam.invalid>  wrote in
news:7xpqzbj8st....@ruckus.brouhaha.com:

Re: Python as a scripting language. Alternative to bash script?

That's interesting but I'm having a hard time seeing how it would work.
I think environment variables didn't exist in early versions of Unix,
and argc/argv were passed to the child process on its stack.  I guess
the reverse side could involve the "wait" system call taking a callback
parameter with a buffer to receive the returned data.  But that still
only happens when the child actually exits, and presumably
intercommunicating netween programs should be bidirectional.  But Unix
has always had pipes for that.

I can't see Python as an alt. to bash. (As I recall) Python is much more
object-oriented than bash, but also there are many commands (such as apt-
get, etc.) that would need Python equivs. However, I can see Python being
used as a scripting alt. to C.

Wait, what? o.O

First, you don't really have to use any of the object-orientedness of Python. It doesn't push anything on you.

Second, why would apt-get need a Python equiv? Just use apt-get.

And, ... "a scripting alternative to C"? How's C a scripting anything, that you need an alternate for? :) I mean, "scripting" is what you use to push around C programs :)

--

   ... Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai