* Ian Collins, on 09.07.2010 23:22:
On 07/10/10 03:52 AM, Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet wrote:
[Cross-posted comp.lang.python and comp.lang.c++]

I lack experience with shared libraries in *nix and so I need to ask...

This is about "cppy", some support for writing Python extensions in C++
that I just started on (some days ago almost known as "pynis" (not funny
after all)).

For an extension module it seems that Python requires each routine to be
defined as 'extern "C"'. And although e.g. MSVC is happy to mix 'extern
"C"' and C++ linkage, using a routine declared as 'static' in a class as
a C callback, formally they're two different kinds, and I seem to recall
that /some/ C++ compiler balks at that kind of mixing unless specially
instructed to allow it. Perhaps it was the Sun compiler?

Yes, it will (correctly) issue a warning.

As the is a bit OT, contact me directly and we can work through it. I
have had similar fun and games adding PHP modules!

Thanks. I'm mailing you a zip with the code... <g>

The question, of course, whether it works in *nix.

Cheers,

- Alf