On 7/11/2010 12:51 PM, pyt...@bdurham.com wrote:
I have a complex object with attributes that contain lists, sets,
dictionaries, and other objects. The lists and dictionaries may
themselves contain complex objects.
I would like to provide a read-only version of this type of object for
other developers to query for reporting.
Is there a way to prevent other developers from changing the attributes
of my complex and nested object?
In researching this question, I have identified __setattr__ and
__delattr__ as possible ways to prevent changes to simple attributes,
but I don't believe these magic methods will prevent others from
fiddling with attributes containing lists and dictionaries or the
contents of these lists and dictionaries.

Python was not really not developed for multi-developer projects whose members are willing to stomp on each others objects.

Another idea I had was to create a wrapper object to proxy all access to
the original object. Is there a generic reciepe for this type of wrapper?

--
Terry Jan Reedy