* Tim Chase (Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:42:24 -0500)
> On 07/26/10 21:26, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> > Please! Never export anything from your .bashrc unless you
> > really know what you're doing. Almost all exports should be
> > done in your .bash_profile
>
> Could you elaborate on your reasoning why (or why-not)?  I've
> found that my .bash_profile doesn't get evaluated when I crank up
> another terminal window, while my bashrc does.  Thus I tend to
> put my exports in my ~/.bashrc so they actually take effect in my
> shell...

~/.bash_profile is only evaluated for login shells and ~/.bashrc only
for non-login shells. Thus it's recommended to keep ~/.bash_profile
empty (except a source statement for .bashrc) and put all your settings,
aliases, exports, etc. in .bashrc.

Thorsten