On 8/3/2010 5:47 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:
So I'd rather not mention __missing__ in the first paragraph, which
describes the functionality provided *by* the defaultdict class. How
about adding this para at the end:

   defaultdict is defined using functionality that is available to *any*
   subclass of dict: a missing-key lookup automatically causes the
   subclass's __missing__ method to be called, with the non-existent key
   as its argument. The method's return value becomes the result of the
   lookup.

Your proposal sounds like a good idea.

Tx.

By the way do you have a CS degree? Your wording sounds like you are
used write theses on a CS degree level. No offense. ;)

No CS degree (coulda, woulda, shoulda). I think what you're hearing is 30+ years of tech writing for computer software companies.

-John