Νίκος wrote:
On 3 Αύγ, 21:00, Dave Angel <da...@ieee.org> wrote:

A string is an object containing characters. A string literal is one of
the ways you create such an object. When you create it that way, you
need to make sure the compiler knows the correct encoding, by using the
encoding: line at beginning of file.

[snip]
Tell me something. What encoding should i pick for my scripts knowing
that only contain english + greek chars??
iso-8859-7 or utf-8 and why?

This is easy to answer: UTF-8 with the:

    # -*- coding: UTF-8 -*-

comment to tell Python that your script file is encoded in UTF-8.

I was once given a file in a language I don't know (translations for
display messages). Some of the text didn't look quite right. It took me
a while to figure out that it was written on a machine which used CP1250
and my machine used CP1252. If everybody used the same encoding then
such problems wouldn't occur, and UTF-8 can handle any characters which
are in Unicode: Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.