On Aug 7, 2010, at 9:14 PM, John Nagle wrote:
  FORTRAN, MATLAB, and Octave all use 1-based subscripts.

  The languages which have real multidimensional arrays, rather
than arrays of arrays, tend to use 1-based subscripts.  That
reflects standard practice in mathematics.

True, but that something is "standard mathematical notation" doesn't mean it's preferable. For example, I have never seen keyword arguments in mathematical notation, and it's definitely not standard practice, but nobody would drop them in favor of standard mathematical notation. In fact, I think, regularly mathematical notation can be improved by standard programming notation.

Moreover, I don't see what's so nice about 'real' multidimensional arrays; the way to construct multidimensional arrays from one- dimensional ones is more orthogonal. And you never *have* to think about them as being one-dimensional, it's just a bonus you can (sometimes) profit from.