"Steven D'Aprano" <st...@remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote in message news:4c6f8edd$0$28653$c3e8...@news.astraweb.com...
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:23:23 +0200, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

I onced worked in a shop (Win32 desktop / accouting applications mainly)
where I was the only guy that could actually understand recursion. FWIW,
I also was the only guy around that understood "hairy" (lol) concepts
like callback functions, FSM, polymorphism, hashtables, linked lists,
ADTs, algorithm complexity etc...

Was there anything they *did* understand, or did they just bang on the
keyboard at random until the code compiled? *wink*

You underestimate how much programming (of applications) can be done without needing any of this stuff.

Needless to say, I didn't last long !-)

And rightly so :)

I guess they wanted code that could be maintained by anybody.

--
Bartc

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@netfront.net ---