On 2:59 PM, Douglas wrote:
@Diez and @David
Thanks guys. Both excellent leads. Colour me happy.  I can now make
progress and meet some deadlines. :)

@Lawrence
Why reinvent rsync?
In what way is rsync relevant to the stated problem? Did you actually
READ the question?
Note: I use Linux at home (yes, even rsync) and very much prefer it to
Windows. However, at work I have no choice but to use the resources
the company provides - which is Windows; have you got that straight
now?
If you have something more helpful and mature to say, relevant to the
actual question, then I will gladly hear it, and even apologise.
Otherwise, don't bother. I already enough from respondents who were
far more adult, knowledgeable and helpful ... and all the more
impressive in comparison.

Sincerely,
-- Douglas

Let's see. You're a first-time poster on this forum, and you choose to attack Lawrence, who was giving you a succinct reference to a possible solution to your problem.

So how does mentioning a program that could directly solve your problem constitute immature and unhelpful response?

Have you checked out any of the several rsync implementations on Windows? Some require cygwin, but there are a couple that would seem not to. Maybe try http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp or http://www.itefix.no/i2/node/10650

There are several reasons why any particular one of these may not be appropriate for your needs, but being stuck on Windows isn't really one of them.

DaveA