On 02/10/2010 20:50, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On 02 Oct 2010 04:38:16 GMT, Steven D'Aprano
<st...@remove-this-cybersource.com.au>  declaimed the following in
gmane.comp.python.general:

If so, then we haven't gained anything, and the only thing that would
satisfy such people would be for every function name and operator to be
unique -- something which is impossible in practice, even if it were
desirable.

        Well... We could maybe borrow from REXX... and use              ||
for
concatenation.

        Of course, REXX has the minor idiosyncrasy that everything is a
string unless the context needs a numeric...

-=-=-=-=--
C:\Documents and Settings\Dennis Lee Bieber>rexx
x = 3
y = "this"
z = "that"
say y z
say y x
say y || z
say y || x
^Z
this that
this 3
thisthat
this3

C:\Documents and Settings\Dennis Lee Bieber>
-=-=-=-=--

How about "~", which is currently has only a unary form:

>>> "foo" ~ "bar"
'foobar'
>>> [1, 2, 3] ~ [4, 5, 6]
[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]

Think of it as meaning "followed by".

Actually, I wonder if it could also be used with generators to mean
itertools.chain:

>>> r1 = range(3)
>>> r2 = range(3, 6)
>>> for x in r1 ~ r2: