On 11/4/2010 7:51 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
Terry Reedy<tjre...@udel.edu>  writes:

Others have answered that, but I would point to the inefficiency for
users of having to enter unit and value on two separate lines. The
prompt could be "Enter value and unit (f, c, or k) or q to quit: "
Allow upper and lower case, with or without a space between.

Well, if we're going to critique the design, I'd say that I find the GNU
Units program<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/units/units.html>  to be a
good flexible implementation of a command-line units converter.

I suspect, though, that the object of the OP was not so much to make a
good unit converter, but rather to learn from a simple example exercise.

Right. I think he would learn something from the exercize I suggest.

--
Terry Jan Reedy