On 11/24/10 12:07 PM, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:

The whole story is that I have a matrix A and matrix B both of which
have rational entries and they both have pretty crazy entries too.
Their magnitude spans many orders of magnitude, but inverse(A)*B is an
okay matrix and I can deal with it using floating point numbers. I
only need this exact fraction business for inverse(A)*B (yes, a
preconditioner would be useful :))

And I wouldn't want to write the whole matrix into a file, call Maple
on it, parse the result, etc.

So after all I might just code the inversion via Gauss elimination
myself in a way that can deal with fractions, shouldn't be that hard.

+1000. This is almost always the right thing to do whether you have floats or rationals.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco