On 12/2/2010 9:56 AM, Harishankar wrote:

There are some reasons why I hate exceptions but that is a different
topic. However, in short I can say that personally:

1. I hate try blocks which add complexity to the code when none is
needed. Try blocks make code much more unreadable in my view and I use it
only for the built-in exceptions when absolutely needed.

2. I prefer the less irksome True or False to do error checking.
Exceptions seem too heavyweight for simple problems.

It turns out that try block are computationally lighter weight (faster) for normal execution ;-)

3. Philosophically I think exception handling is the wrong approach to
error management. I have never grown up programming with exceptions in C
and I couldn't pick up the habit with python either. Did I mention that I
detest try blocks? try blocks seem ugly and destroy code clarity at least
in my view. And enclosing single statements under separate try blocks
seem to add a lot of clutter.

Having also come to Python directly from C, I can sympathize. It took me a while to adjust.

--
Terry Jan Reedy