On 2010-12-04, alex23 <wuwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2:12 am, Tim Harig <user...@ilthio.net> wrote:
>> Actually, I thought that debate was resolved years ago.  I cannot think of
>> a single recently developed programming language that does not provide
>> exception handling mechanisms because they have been proven more reliable.
>
> Google's Go lacks exceptions and I believe that was a deliberate
> design choice.

1. The debate that I was referring to was between simple function checking
        vs. everything else.  I didn't mean to automatically proclude any
        newer methodologies of which I might not even be aware.

2.  I would consider the defer/panic/recovery mechanism functionally similar
        to exceptions in most ways.  It allows the error handling
        code to be placed at a higher level and panics tranverse the stack
        until they are handled by a recovery.  This is basically equivilent
        to how exceptions work using different names.  The change is basically
the defer
        function which solves the problem of any cleanup work that the
        function needs to do before the panic is raised.  I like it, its
        nice.  It formalizes the pattern of cleaning up within an exception
        block and re-raising the exception.

        I do have to wonder what patterns will emerge in the object given
        to panic().  Since it takes anything, and since Go doesn't have an
        object hierarchy, much less an exception hierarchy, the panic value
        raised may or may not contain the kind of detailed information that
        can be obtained about the error that we are able to get from the
        Exception objects in Python.