Mel wrote:
Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:

Fellows,

I'd like to illutrate the fact that comparing strings using identity is,
most of the time, a bad idea. However I'm searching a short example of
code that yields 2 differents object for the same string content.

id('foo')
3082385472L
id('foo')
3082385472L

Anyone has that kind of code ?

Currently, CPython interns strings that look like identifiers. Any strings that don't look like identifiers are on their own:

mwil...@tecumseth:~/sandbox/candlekit/stringlight-1$ python
Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 16 2010, 13:09:56) [GCC 4.4.3] on linux2
a = 'x(3)'
id(a)
3075373248L
c='x(3)'
id(c)
3075373856L
a==c
True

        Mel.
thanks to all who replied.

It looks like there are some differences between python 2.5 & 2.6, I tested all the possibilities I've been given in this thread and did not always get the same result.
Anyway I found what I was looking for.

JM