Am 20.12.2010 22:56, schrieb Ed Keith:
I have a user supplied 'template' Excel spreadsheet. I need to create a new
excel spreadsheet based on the supplied template, with data filled in.

I found the tools here http://www.python-excel.org/,  and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/. I have been trying to use the
former, since the latter seems to be devoid of documentation (not even any
docstrings).

My first thought was to copy the template, open the copy, modify it and save
the modifications. But it looks like if I open an existing spreadsheet it must
be read only.
Could you post some code ? Did you try a simple file copy or do you iterate over all the cells ?
  So I tried to  open the template, copy it to a new spreadsheet and write the
new spreadsheet, but I can't seem to copy the images, and it looks like copying
the formatting is going to be difficult.

Can anyone give me any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance,

    -EdK

Ed Keith

e_...@yahoo.com

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com

As long as your program only needs to run under windows,
COM automation is IMHO the best solution.
Python tells Excel what to do.