On 2011-01-04 12:53:02 -0800, Alan Meyer said:

I confess that I haven't used PHP so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
[snip]

+1

You're pretty much on the ball with your description.  I might summarize it as:

PHP (PHP: Hypertext Processor) is a templating language with a significant enough standard library for aspirations of general-purpose scripting. Python is a general-purpose scripting language with numerous templating languages, let alone the terrifyingly large standard library. ;)

Yes, PHP has templating language syntaxes like Smarty, but you're running a template parser within another template parser...

A fairly common sarcastic quote is:

"You aren't a real Python programmer until you write your own [coroutine framework | web framework | templating language | ...]!"

I've done all three, and this probably does not make me a good person. ;) The coroutine framework was a hack to see how they work through experimentation, but I'm quite proud of the web framework and templating system! :D

        - Alice.