On 25/01/2011 14:11, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
My preaching done with, I'd like to urge everyone to put this in a bit of
perspective; essentially, what I don't want is someone walking away with
Octavian's attitude as a stariotype for us all.

I can't speak for everyone (I don't have that presumption), but to me, given the two data points, you are certainly coming across as more level-headed, and thus representative. Octavians posts sound more and more like rantingricks as time goes on, which is not a good thing.

This entire debate is silly, anyway; wx is doing perfectly well as a separate, but easily installed library, and I can't forsee a situation where it's inclusion in the standard library would happen. Even if a python newbie does start with TK, learning a second GUI toolkit shouldn't be that much of a struggle for them.

I think even more damaging to any python newcomers than choosing the 'wrong' gui toolkit would be stumbling across this thread whilst looking for a toolkit; and thinking some of the behaviour here was representative of the python (or wx) community as a whole, which couldn't be further from the truth. I know that if I had found this thread when looking around I would certainly have been put off of wx (which is the toolkit I decided on when looking around).

Perhaps there is room for a balanced, adult discussion on the future of GUI toolkits in python; But I don't believe that this can happen here without substantial changes to a certain persons attitudes (or other peoples kill files).