If you are on windows, you can use high-resolution timers. What you are trying is physically impossible though: lets say you have a processor that runs at 2.5 GHz. that's 2.5 billion cycles per second, give or take a few. So, the lowest you can go is nanoseconds. You're trying to time like 10x the processor's actual speed, and you're not going to get timing that good. so, lower your bar a bit; the highest you will get is nanoseconds with high-res timers. (I'm not sure what the equivalent of this is on *nix, or whether or not python supports it on either platform. I think you'll end up making a DLL call, though I could be wrong).