The best way I have found is to place that definition of your PYTHONPATH in your .bash_profile in your home directory and export it from there.

        PYTHONPATH=/home/foo/prog/learning_python

        export PYTHONPATH

This way your PYTHONPATH is picked up each time you log on. You might have to restart IDLE for the changes you mention below to take effect.