----- Original Message ----- From: "Dino Viehland" <di...@microsoft.com> To: "Patty" <pa...@cruzio.com>; <pyt...@bdurham.com>; "roland garros" <rolandgarros...@gmail.com>; <python-list@python.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:01 PM
Subject: RE: Python Tools for Visual Studio from Microsoft - Free & Open Source

Patty wrote:
Thanks so much for this reference - and the detailed further explanation! I
have a Windows 7 system and recently installed Visual Studio 2010 for the
SQL Server, Visual C/C++ and Visual Basic. I would love to have this Python tool installed under Visual Studio but a few questions: 1) I have regular Python installed not Cpython or Jpython or any other variant (have both 2.6
and 3.2 versions) so would that be a problem and it won't install or won't
work? 2) I saw that this was a beta, would there be an automatic notification
that there are upgrades (I mean within the software itself) or would it be
advisable for me to wait until it goes final because I am relatively newer to
Python and maybe shouldn't be mucking with a beta of
something   3) there is a message bar at the top right corner of the web
page that a certain number of people are 'following this project' Is that
where you would rely on for upgrades notifications or what exactly would
you be following as far as a 'project' of this type?

CPython is actually regular Python - the C just clarifies that it's the implementation
written in C (vs. C#, Java, or Python).

Oh!  :)

There won't be any notification of updates via the software it's self but given that you heard about the 1st release within days of it coming out my guess is
you'll hear about the updates as well.

You're right.

I'm not actually certain if following a project on CodePlex will give you e-mail notifications or not. I typically subscribe to CodePlex's RSS feed for projects I'm implemented in - for example this feed http://pytools.codeplex.com/project/feeds/rss includes all changes to the project. There's other feeds below the RSS button
which track just new releases or other things.

I see - I am on a diff computer right now but want to check out this CodePlex site further
from the Windows 7 system later.  It looks interesting.

Thanks,

Patty