On Monday, March 14, 2011 9:45:51 AM UTC-4, eryksun () wrote:

> If you're linking to a common file, couldn't you just add in
> the base folder there?

> # script.py
> import _path   # _path.py is a symbolic link
>
> # _path.py:
> base = '/absolute/path/to/base'
> import site
> site.addsitedir(base)

To be clear on the file structure, I'm picturing that 'base' is a path on each
user's shell path where all the accessible scripts are linked, and that this is
also the package directory. So when a linked script runs "import _path" it will
import the _path.py that's located in base, which adds the base path to
Python's sys.path. On the other hand, any subsequently imported modules will be
found by searching sys.path. Thus each subdirectory needs the additional
symbolic link back to the base _path.py. It's a bit convoluted, but so are the
constraints of this problem -- at least to me.