It's the OS kernel. If it was Python or the C library, sending SIGKILL
would result in immediate termination.

Is the disk interface operating in PIO mode? A slow disk shouldn't cause
100% CPU consumption; the OS would just get on with something else (or
just idle) while waiting for data to become available. But if it's
having to copy data from the controller one word at a time, that could
cause it (and would also make the disk appear slow).

This is a RAID 1+0 array with 10 hard disks plus a SCSI controller with 2GB write back cache. I don't think that it has to do anything with disk speed. The CPU load goes up to 100% (the disk I/O does not go up that much).

I'm working about a different storage method. We will be storing these logs in a real database instead of separate CSV files. So probably this problem will cease.

Thanks,

   Laszlo