Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>  It cannot be denied that we are talking exclusively about OOP. End of
>  story.
Yes it can be denied.

All data structures and primitives in Python are objects, but the
language is not exclusively object-oriented.

Yeah, I know, Steven. The discussion, from which my quote was pulled from context, was in response to whether Python should be viewed as object-based or object-oriented. Terry says object-based, my view is object-oriented. (the reasons for both have already been stated)

I can use C++ for procedural programming (and I often do, to take advantage of the //comments and iostreams cin and cout). But even though I use C++ for procedural programming, I still know at heart that its an object-oriented language---and a good thing too, or else there wouldn't be an iostreams class to take advantage of. :)

I view Python the same way--- it is object-oriented and has some obligation to the OOA&D paradigm even though it can be used procedurally and|or functionally. Of course my functional experimentation and research resides almost exclusively with haskel and erlang, I have dabbled with Python's lambda and have enjoyed playing a bit with the functional aspects of Python... albeit, I still consider Python an object oriented language at heart.

I am gaining an understanding for the rich diversity of viewpoints within this community regarding the evolution of this fantastic language. I had no idea the viewpoints were *so* diverse.

kind regards,
m harris