On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:47:40 +0100, Gerald Britton <gerald.brit...@gmail.com> wrote:

Gerald Britton wrote:
I now understand the Python does
not consider a class definition as a separate namespace as it does for
function definitions.  That is a helpful understanding.

That is not correct.  Classes are separate namespaces -- they just
aren't automatically searched.  The only namespaces that are
automatically searched are local, non-local, global, and built-in.

I see you misunderstood my observation:  Python does not consider a class
definition as a separate namespace *as it does* for function definitions.

This phrase normally parses as "Python does not consider a class definition as a separate namespace. In contrast, Python does consider a function definition as a separate namespace." If you meant "Python does not consider a class definition as a separate namespace *in the same way* that it does for function definitions," saying so would make life easier for the fairly large number of readers of this newsgroup whose first language isn't English.

Language abuse: it's not just Python. A donation of just $5 will keep a programmer in prepositions for a month. $50 will supply enough articles to keep a small company understandable for over a year. With your generous help, we can beat this scourge!

Ahem.

Normal service will now be resumed.