On 04-05-11 21:13, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
It turns out that people in the 1970's were pretty smart :-)

I think that often, the cleverness of people is inversely proportional
to the amount of CPU power and RAM that they have in their computer.

The Google guys have plenty of CPU power *and* plenty of
cleverness :-)

Haha, true. We need to add a Googlyness factor in the equation.
Or perhaps: think what they could achieve if they only had a few machines instead of thousands ;-)

Also: wasn't there a talk on Pycon in which a bloom filter was mentioned?

Yes!  As a matter of fact there was:
http://www.slideshare.net/c.titus.brown/pycon-2011-talk-ngram-assembly-with-bloom-filters

Thanks, that was the one.

I didn't attend Pycon but I watched a truckload of talks on blip.tv and that one caught my attention because of its somewhat funny title
'handling ridiculous amounts of data with probabilistic data structures'

I didn't understand all of it but the name Bloom Filter stuck, it seems. Adding it to my list of bookmarks of useful-stuff-I-intend-to-use-one-day-in-the-future...

Irmen