On 5/11/2011 3:08 PM, Genstein wrote:
On 11/05/2011 19:24, Terry Reedy wrote:
writing and reading. If you want others to look at this more, you should
1) produce a minimal* example that demonstrates the questionable
behavior, and 2) show the comparative outputs that raise your question.

Thanks for a quick response. Perhaps I was being unclear - in py3k,
given the following code and assuming no errors arise:

 > f = open("foo", "w+b")
 > f.write(b'test')
 > f.seek(0)
 > print(f.read(4))

What is the printed result supposed to be?

i) b'test'
ii) never b'test'
iii) platform dependent/undefined/other

Good clear question. I expect i).

With 3.2 on winxp, that is what I get with StringIO, text file, and bytes file (the first two with b's removed). I would expect the same on any system. If you get anything different, I would consider it a bug

--
Terry Jan Reedy