Gregory Ewing wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. If the monitor is an LCD and isn't
doing anything to reduce its own power usage, then the backlight
is still running and using just as much power, whether the screen
is black or not.

Depends on dpmi. Some monitors turn off the backlight, and some don't. My monitor(s) that are LCD turn off the backlight... and the downside of that (very annoying) is that they have to 'warm up' again... making them dim for the first few seconds of use...

An LED flat panel is a completely different animal, because there is no backlight (no ccfl). They monitors don't use much power in the first place, but they use less when they're blank, obviously, not producing light.

kind regards,
m harris